Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sharing and Subscribing to your Genbook Calendar

There are two ways to set up Calendar Synchronization, so that your Genbook calendar updates an external calendar on the Web or on your computer. The first, via email, is explained here. The following directions are for sharing and subscribing to your Genbook calendar via a webcal/iCalendar URL.

1. Go to your Staff Details page (Settings > "Staff").

2. Turn on Synchronization and select "Use a private URL". This will show you your private Genbook Calendar URL. (If you've shared your calendar with others before and wish to stop sharing, you can regenerate the URL.) Be sure to save your changes.


3. Click in the textbox to select the URL and copy it (Ctrl+C on a PC or +C on a Mac)





4. You're now ready to paste the Genbook calendar's private URL into the appropriate place in your external calendar, so long as that calendar allows you to subscribe to other calendars' feeds via a URL. Below, we've outlined the process for subscribing to your Genbook calendar in Google, Outlook, Thunderbird and iCal.
2
a. Google Calendar

Under "Other Calendars", along the left side of the screen, click "Add"




Then, select "Add by URL"



Paste (Ctrl+P on a PC or +P on a Mac) the URL into the box and click "Add Calendar."


It may take a while (sometimes even up to 24 hours) before Google actually downloads your Genbook calendar.

TIP: If you're experiencing problems with your Google Calendar sync, please have a look at some known issues we and some Genbookers have encountered to see if they apply.

b. Outlook 2010

Click in the ribbon on "Open Calendar" and choose "From Internet…". In older versions of Outlook, click on the "Tools" menu, then "Account Settings", and the Internet Calendars tab.




Paste the URL into the box that pops up and press OK.


Finally, click "Yes" and Outlook will start importing your calendar immediately.


c. Apple iCal

Open iCal and click on Calendar and then "Subscribe…"



Paste the URL in the window that pops up, and click "Subscribe"


On the last screen, you can change the calendar name, description, etc. We recommend setting the Auto-Refresh rate to "Every 5 minutes".



When you're finished, click OK. iCal will immediately begin to download the calendar.

26 comments:

James Bowman Harris said...

This works great for appointments booked by my clients, but when I block off time or manually enter an appointment for them it does not show on the subscribed calendar.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I see the appointments I enter myself?

Cornelia said...

James, I'm sorry that manually scheduled appointments aren't showing up via the new sync method. We're still working out a few kinks, as the feature is quite new. Please contact our Customer Care Team from the Support tab if the problem persists or you have more information.

Marcus A. Rhoden L.Ac., DNBAO, MS said...

I am having the same problem it will not post a scheduled appointment made in the office to google calender. It would be great if both patient scheduled appointments and in office scheduled appointments would both show up in google calender

Cornelia said...

Marcus, we are working on this and are very sorry for any inconvenience in the meantime.

We also want to mention that Google calendar only seems to update itself every 6 hours or so with new information from subscribed calendars. That's not something Genbook has any control over, though.

PF Dumanis said...

Hi Cornelia: Is there any timeline estimate for when that issue might be resolved? If it's going to be more than a couple days, I will have to go back to email-sync.

Thanks,
PF

Anonymous said...

My clients love the calendar synch option and for the most part I do too, but if someone cancels an appointment I don't know how to remove the appointment from my ICAL. Is there a way?

Cornelia said...

PF, I'm afraid I can't give you an estimate. I do encourage you to email our Customer Care Team directly from your Support tab, as we can actually troubleshoot for you on a case-by-case basis.

Anon, the appointment, once deleted from Genbook, should also be removed from iCal the next time that updates itself. If this isn't happening, please contact us directly from Support.

Aaron Wilson said...

I would love to have it linked into my google calendar... so if the wife makes a doctors appointment it will block that time off so a client can't schedule and I have to call an now cancel. I rather have it go google to genbook then genbook to google but both way would be awesome!! I have 5 calendars feed into or off my google account and adding genbook to the mix would make it all be worth it!

Beverly said...

Any news on when online and user-entered appointments will sync in calender? Until both sync, I can't take advantage of this feature!

Cornelia said...

Beverly, all appointments should be syncing. Please contact our Customer Care Team for help if this isn't happening for you.

Traci said...

Any way to only show that the time is booked on the Google calendar, but not show the name of the person who scheduled the appointment? Due to privacy issues this isn't a good thing. Thanks.

Cornelia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cornelia said...

Traci, I'm afraid not. We recommend making your Google Calendar settings such that only you are able to see the specifics (ie: set the calendar to "private").

uyen tran said...

I subscribed my calendar as instructed to Google Celendar and now I have done the reverse but it won't work. It's still subscribe to GenBook.

Cornelia said...

Uyen, the calendar synchronization is one-way. I'm afraid there's no way to get Google to update Genbook. If you're having trouble getting Genbook to update Google, please email our Customer Care Team.

Patrick Smith said...

Hi - I live and breathe the subscription of my Genbook calendar to iCal (and then use those appointment in Bento to write additional notes). Just recently, however, every appointment older than 30 days has disappeared from iCal. I made no changes to the preferences file. Had Genbook put a filter on the feed? I will have to move to a different platform if I can't get around this.

Cornelia said...

Hi Patrick. Yes, the feed will only go back as far as 30 days. We are really sorry that this is causing an inconvenience.

Anonymous said...

how do I export my appointments to a spreadsheet?

Cornelia said...

It's not possible to export appointments to a spreadsheet.

Vanella said...

Is it possible to print some kind of "list" with our team daily appointments details to have as a reserve in case genbook online is down for some reason?

Cornelia said...

Vanella, you can print the staff members' week view of the calendar by clicking the "Print" button when in that view. More calendar view info can be found in this blog post.

Anonymous said...

When will genbook become moble ready? I can't see my customer list, block time or make any changes to my settings using my tablet.

Cornelia said...

We do not officially support tablets at this time, however Genbook has worked on select tablets (the full site, not the mobile version). We will be working on supporting tablets fully in the future.

Robin Spencer said...

I love this feature. Pops up on my tablet now just fine.

jaclyn said...

I'm trying to use the url to export the calendar, but I keep getting the message that they can't fetch the url (tried in google calendar as well as ical). Can you help me out a bit here?

Cornelia said...

Jaclyn, it's important to ensure that you always first save changes after you enable the URL sync, before you try to subscribe in the external calendar. If you still have trouble, contact our Customer Care team from the Support section of your account. They will be able to help troubleshoot more thoroughly.